Data Protection Policy
Last updated 24/4/2018
The Auto Agency needs to gather and process certain information about individuals. The can include customers, suppliers, business contacts, employees and other people the organisation has a relationship with or may need to contact.
The Data Protection Act 1998 describes how organisations, including The Auto Agency must collect, handle and store personal information. This Data Protection Policy ensures that The Auto Agency complies with Data Protection Law and follows good practice, protects the rights of staff and customers, is open about how we store and process individuals’ data and protects ourselves from a data breach.
The Data Protection Act 1998 states that Personal Information must:
- Be processed fairly and lawfully
- Be obtained only for specific, lawful purposes
- Be adequate, relevant and not excessive
- Be accurate and kept up to date
- Not be held for any longer than necessary
- Be processed in accordance with the rights of data subjects
- Be protected in appropriate ways
- Not be transferred to outside the European Economic Area (EEA), unless that country or territory ensures and adequate level of protection
What Personal Information does The Auto Agency collect about you?
‘Personal Information’ means anything relating to an individual that can identify them – either directly or indirectly. It can refer, amongst other things, to an identification number or to one specific identifying piece of information such as an address or Date of Birth.
- Fill out any forms on theautoagency.co.uk
- Sign up for the Newsletter, Vehicle Alerts, Stock Lists or put in a Finance Request
- Correspond with The Auto Agency by phone, email or chat facility
- Enter any competition, promotion or prize draw
You are freely giving The Auto Agency permission to process your Personal Information, which may include:
- Full Name
- Phone / Mobile Number
- Email Address
- Date of Birth
- Technical information about how you access and use our website, including your IP address, browser type and operating system.
We then use this information to:
- Let you know about your recent enquiry / order / purchase
- Update our records and generally maintain your account with us
- Keep a record of when and why you contact us and keep your details up to date
- Prevent or detect fraud or abusers of our site and enable third parties to carry out technical, logistical or other functions on our behalf
- (If you consent), notify you of products or special offers that may be of interest to you
You have the right to ask us not to process your Personal Information for marketing purposes, or to withdraw your consent at any time. You can opt out by:
- Choosing not to sign up to our Mailing List and other marketing options when submitting any online forms.
- Changing your mailing preferences (every email communication will include a link to allow you to change your preferences)
- Unsubscribing from our Mailing List by following the link within the email footer (every email communication will include a link allowing you to opt out)
- Contacting The Auto Agency via telephone, email or by using our ‘Contact Details’ form online (don’t forget to give your Full Name, Contact Number and Email Address)
We do not, and will not, sell your Personal Information to any third party including your name, email address, or contact numbers – we want to earn and maintain your trust and believe this is essential to do so. We may, however, disclose your information to our service / website providers who operate elements of our service and process data on our behalf.
These may include businesses who provide technology services such as hosting for our servers and email distribution. Where such disclosures are made, this will be under contractual agreements with us and carried out in accordance to the requirements of the UK Data Protection Law.
We may disclose your information to our insurers and / or providers as reasonably necessary for the purposes of obtaining or maintaining insurance coverage, managing risks, obtaining professional advice, to exercise or defend legal claims whether in courts proceedings or in an administrative or an out of court procedure. We do not transfer any Personal Information to countries outside of the EEA.
We will hold onto your Personal Information for as long as is needed to provide a service to you, or for as long as is necessary. If reasonably necessary or required to meet legal or regulatory requirements, resolve disputes, prevent fraud and abuse, or enforce our terms and conditions, we may also keep hold of your ‘Personal Information’ after we no longer need to provide a service to you. All Personal Information collected by The Auto Agency comes from the individual directly and we do not purchase mailing lists or obtain data from publicly accessible sources.
When it comes to your Personal Information, your rights include:
- The right to be informed about how your Personal Information is being used
- The right to access to the Personal Information The Auto Agency has about you
- The right to rectify any inaccurate or incorrect information
- The right to request erasure, a stop to processing or to delete all data The Auto Agency already holds about you.
- The right to data portability, allowing you to retain and reuse your Personal Information for your own purpose
- The right to object to your personal data being used for direct marketing, scientific and historical research or for the performance of a task in the public interest
- Rights of automated decision making – you can choose not to be the subject of a decision where the consequence has a legal bearing or is based on automated processing
- The right to complain to a supervisory authority
When you visit our website, we issue a ‘cookie’ file which is stored on your browser or hard drive on your computer. You may delete and block all or some cookies, however if you use your browser settings to block all cookies you may not be able to access all or parts of the website.
The Auto Agency processes data both as a processor and controller as defined in the GDPR. We adhere to the GDPR from May, consequently, we process all data provided by our users with accounts in our European Data Region in the European Economic Area (EEA) only.
You can contact us at any time to:
- Request access to information The Auto Agency has about you
- Correct any information The Auto Agency has about you
- Delete information The Auto Agency has about you
If you have any additional questions about The Auto Agency's collection and storage of data, please contact us at our principal place of business:
The Auto Agency Limited, 1 Millbridge, Hertford, Hertfordshire, SG14 1PY
Company Registration Number: 08350216
Registered Office: Belfry House, Bell Lane, Hertford, Hertfordshire, SG14 1BP
This website is owned and operated by Starkwood Media Group.